Sunday 21 July 2013

Ashgate Croft Placement



Ashgate Croft Placement

I have been a weekly volunteer at Ashgate Croft for twelve months. My work is specifically based with one class of nine children aged between eleven and fourteen years old. Through the class there is a wide range of ability levels as there are children with both mental and physical disabilities. I have learnt how to modify my interaction and learning expectations according to the severity of the particular child’s disability.

Working in close contact with the children has improved my communication skills in a professional work environment. Being present when a range of complex tests and pill combinations are administered has given me a direct knowledge of the importance of precision with drugs and how they can positively affect a child’s health. My interest in medicine has definitely been sparked by the caring role I have pursued and the hands on approach to medication administration.

One of my activities with the children has been regular swimming sessions during which I gained each child’s trust. These sessions were fun and interactive whilst also having the additional benefit of allowing the children to see the duality of me being both their friend and a professional adult helper. 

A particularly rewarding aspect of the role I undertook was helping the children to comprehend moral and socially acceptable behaviour as I undertook to help them to understand the way to interact with other children. Utilising simple makaton (simple sign language for children) has been helpful as it allows direct communication with the children that have problems with fulfilling needs of expression. Seeing the standard of work each child produced improve across my work with the class has been gratifying and has shown the worthwhile nature of my work.

Throughout this placement I have used my skills of patience and have developed my caring nature. As in the role of doctor, it was highly important through my time volunteering here to be non-judgmental and fair to all children regardless of ability and social background. This experience has highly enhanced my desire to pursue a career in medicine and to become a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment