Sunday 21 July 2013

Ashgate Hospice


Ashgate Hospice


I have volunteered weekly at Ashgate Hospice which provides end of life care for terminally ill patients. Whilst volunteering I talk to patients and form bonds with them, communicating and improving my social skills through talking to many adults of different ages and socio-economic backgrounds. This experience has taught me that a cheerful and positive outlook is required at all times to improve the patients’ mood.

I have learnt that there needs to be a balance between what the patient desires to do in their last few weeks and what the medical professionals wish them to do for their best interests. This involves a compromise to ensure that the best end of life provisions are made but also that the patient is happy and enjoys the last weeks they have left. This is demonstrated through the fact patients are permitted to have alcohol through the day if they wish, but also that if they need essential pain relief that they may not be permitted alcohol in as large quantities to avoid drug interaction and cancelation of the medication.

When at the hospice I serve meals and drinks to the patients; this requires close observation of instructions from the multidisciplinary team to ensure patients are not eating solid food when they are supposed to be on a puree diet to prevent choking. This skill is necessary as a doctor to prevent negative consequences occurring. I also have to make sure that the patient is not on a limited diet or liquid consumption which is put in place by medical professionals to aid their end of life transition. This involved talking to patients and families to make sure they understand why the patients are not allowed the usual food and drinks. I have also experienced complaints by family members who wish that their ill relative can have a proper meal and drink, however, this may not be possible near the end of life. This occurrence has aided my development as I had to stay calm and explain carefully why this has been put in place and how it benefits the patient, this is important for a doctor to be able to do when in the care of patients.

Whilst volunteering I observed and aided the nurses in administration of the drugs which are vital for the pain relief of patients in the last days of their lives to preserve their dignity and prevent unnecessary suffering. The main thing I have gained from this palliative care experience is seeing the deterioration of each individual patient from when they first come into the hospice until near the end of their lives. This experience has allowed me to address the issues surrounding the end of life, assessing how I react to patients dying and how I deal with this. This experience has been hard at times yet I think I have gained much from this and will be a better doctor since I have experienced the loss of my patients and have knowledge of the specific care required towards the end of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment