Sunday 21 July 2013

Fairplay


Fairplay

Fairplay is a local charity that organises fun, interactive yet educational activities for children and young adults with a range of mental and physical disabilities. During the year that I volunteered to help with these services I have organised and aided a range of activities. My work has been alongside both the children and the parents in order to support the entire family including the siblings who can often feel left out when there is one particularly dependent child.

I worked with a variety of abilities and age groups during my year volunteering. My activities included dressing up, swimming and trips to the park which were particularly exciting as these took the children out of their comfort zone and resulted in them having a great time. An age group I worked with a lot was the 3-5 year olds as we gave the family respite before they entered into the school system which gives the family time to do simple activities we take for granted such as cleaning the house or doing the shopping. These are impossible with a young severely disabled child who does not understand the concept of safety yet.

An evening I was particularly proud of was the summer party which I helped to organise for some of the younger children aged 8-12 years old. The games and activities were specifically designed according to ability as children had both mental and physical disabilities; as a result a wide range of activities were required to stimulate each individual. The games and dancing were designed to encourage the children to remain healthy and active.

The plethora of activities that I have been involved in include ready steady cook to attempt to give some of the more able children the skills they will need in future life. Street dance and tai-chi attempted to promote health and self-esteem, ensuring that sports activities are not lost as the child becomes a young adult and leaves school. 

The main outcomes that I gained from this work experience were the ability to communicate with those that can’t clearly express their needs and views. This is a particularly vital skill for a doctor to have as you could be working daily with people in such conditions. During my time there I have experienced epileptic fits where administration of medicine and following strict procedures has been vital. The strict dietary plans for those that have allergies or need to reduce certain intakes to prevent fits are definitely aspects that both doctors and nurses should be highly aware of when prescribing drugs and treatments.

This work experience has allowed me to develop my patience and my communication skills alongside giving me an experience of medicines and how they directly aid people in real life situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment