Sunday 21 July 2013

Introduction



Abbie's Medicine Work Experience Blog


Hi! I’m Abbie, whilst writing my personal statement, I decided to create this blog to help tell future prospective medical students how to get your work experience and what you could learn from doing these placements. It can be daunting especially if (like me) you have no medical contacts in your family but, as I have shown, perseverance can get you a long way! A brief description below shows what I did on each placement, further blog posts will give more details about each experience.

London Science Museum
What I did and learnt...Touring the museum, the science and medicine specific exhibitions were excellent. They have taught me about the genetic makeup of the brain and the history of medicine. The link between autism and my voluntary work with special needs children really highlighted the reality of living with neurological conditions.

Chesterfield Royal Hospital placement 
What I did and learnt... I learnt about different aspects of medicine in a hospital by shadowing doctors, viewing surgical rooms and having hands on experiences such as taking blood from a dummy arm. I also questioned patients about treatment and rehabilitation which allowed me to gain a firsthand experience of behind the scenes work in a hospital.


Psychiatry placement
What I did and learnt... This placement allowed me to see the plethora of mental illnesses that effect patients and how these are dealt with differently. I viewed the system as a whole from looking at discharged patients coming in for check-ups to those that are housed in a secure unit and receive treatment in there. I learnt how to adapt my word choice and tone to suit particular patients’ need and get a successful diagnosis.


Ashgate Hospice
What I did and learnt... I aid the administration of drugs with terminally ill patients whilst helping to ease their passing through palliative care. Balancing diets and alcohol levels allows a compromise between enjoyment in the last stages of life and the necessary medical care. I have already learnt how to cope with the emotions of losing patients that I have developed an affinity with whilst maintaining a cheerful work ethic to keep spirits high.

Ashgate Croft Placement
What I did and learnt... I work with a group with a class of mentally and/or physically disabled children in a school, taking them swimming and aiding during lessons and recreational time. Learning makaton (simple sign language) improved communication with the children, through this placement I developed patience and an understanding of medicines used to treat a variety of conditions.


Darley Dale Surgery
What I did and learnt... This gave me an experience of the administration behind a GP surgery whilst shadowing a receptionist. Looking at drugs and repeat prescriptions highlighted the importance of liaison with the pharmacy. Shadowing a nurse, phlebotomist and GP gave details as to these roles and interested me in different sections of medicine.
Matlock Group Surgery
What I did and learnt... Shadowing a GP in this practise allowed me to view many different treatments and issues from dealing with a pregnant ladies’ alcohol issues to discussing the possible need for dialysis and tracheotomies with patients. Viewing online systems allowed me to see patients’ past medical history whilst also showing me the importance of computer literacy in a medical role.

Pharmacy Placement
What I did and learnt... I learnt how to utilise the dispensing systems that are in place in the pharmacy to fulfil prescriptions and give the customers drugs. I had to consider safety concerns when giving patients their drugs to ensure they got to the correct person. Looking at prescriptions, liaisons with the GP surgery and drug interaction to prevent clashes are all important aspects that will be helpful in my future as a professional medic.


Fairplay
What I did and learnt... Working with a group of young disabled adults allowed me to gain leadership skills whilst helping give respite care to the families of these children. Experience of epileptic fits was engaging as I watched administration of medicine and following the strict procedure. Dealing with allergies and dietary plans would be part of everyday life as a doctor so was an intriguing experience.

Stress Outlets - how to cope with being a doctor
What I did and learnt... This section gives details as to how you can cope with the stress of being a doctor by using extra-curricular activities. I pursued activities such as ocean sailing, achieving the Bronze Duke of Edinburgh scheme, running, swimming, gaining my Level 2 Sports Leadership award, helping with Buddy Reading, linking with a year eight form, being part of Young Enterprise, working as a Student Ambassador and being a Young Leader at a Brownie unit amongst other pursuits. These activities allowed me to develop my teamwork, leadership, communication and timekeeping skills.



No comments:

Post a Comment